777  

Posted by Rithish

'sbeen a long time.. yes.. I know. Am sorry. Dont seem to find time as I used to before. Today is day number 777. You know wht that means? It meanstht its been 2 years, a month and 15 days since I came down to this city. wooow....that maketh me pretty old. Don't it? Seems just like yesterday tht I finished college. I love this city. I regard Bangalore to be the best city in the world.
I have been to quite a few cities in whatever short span of life I have lived till now. I have lived in some, and have just visited some. With the exception of my hometown, I have always been partial to Calcutta, or Kolkata as of now, and regarded it as my favourite city, for it was there that I was bred. Playing cricket in summer, football in the monsoons, sitting in open double deckers, watching the 60 foot pandals with awe during the Durga festival, watching the skies lit like the day during Diwali, the kite festival, Christmas.....
Never mind the documentaries which depict it to be the ugliest city in India. By saying this, I am by no means denying or questioning the integrity of these, however, I would opine that if one would look enough, he would find more beauty than ugliness.
It is here that my favourite teacher lives. Diamond was her name. It was here that I was taught the meaning of a kiss; my teacher never failing to kiss me 'good morning' and 'good day' every single day. I still remember those misty mornings, when my father would walk me to school, and my teacher would welcome me with open arms and hug me saying, "My Darling!! How are you today?" I still remember those weekends when my father would take us out. Out to the Planetorium, to the Children's museum, Victoria Memorial, Diamond Harbor, Alipur Zoo, the Aquarium, the Hoogly river, Eden Gardens....

On second thoughts......Calcutta is still my favourite city.

This entry was posted on Friday, November 22, 2002 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments